From Raphaƫl Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: request / proposal - voice xml
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:03:00 GMT
Manjuka Soysa wrote:

> Hi,
> Could you please add VoiceXML mime type and add it to ClientCapabilityMap?
> I'd be quite happy to do it, but don't have the CVS priveleges.

Can you send a patch to the list ?

> I also have a suggestion on the way client capabilities are recognised. Some of the public
portals use the host name, eg : www.myportal.com would assume the client prefers html, wap.myportal.com
would assume the client prefers wml, voice.myportal.com would assume the client prefers voicexml.
> So if the web server is setup with corresponding virtual hosts, wouldn't it be sensible
for the ClientCapabilityMap to use the host name in addition to the user agent name to decide
the response type?

Depending on the range of browser backward compatibility you want to achieve with your site,
you may not necessarily depend on the host name used in the request, for example with HTTP/1.0
the host name queried was not part of the client request.

If you only contemplate HTTP/1.1 clients, then the hostname may be a good criteria but to
implement it you should not modify the ClientCapabilityMap but rather create an alternate
implementation of the ProfilerManagerService interface that relies on hostname rather than
ClientCapabilityMap (or in addition to) to select the resource to display.

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris