From "Stephan Hesmer" <shes...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Parameters loss between portlets/actions/screens
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:27:42 GMT
Stephane,

the rundata.getParameters() method is used to get information about the
parameters of the URL. This kind of parameter is turbine specific. So if you
have a URL like
http://hostname/servletname/screen/home/action/myaction
then you would receive the parameters screen and action with the appropriate
value (home and myaction).

You want to store data in the session, so just use the session via
rundata.getSession()

BTW, to get information about the user in turbine/jetspeed you have to use
the user object of turbine via rundata.getUser()

Stephan

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephane Grialet
To: jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Friday, 06 April, 2001 11:02
Subject: Parameters loss between portlets/actions/screens

Hello,

I'm a new subscriber in this ML, my name St├ęphane Grialet and i'm working
for the french National Education, in the Toulouse academy site, on a
Jetspeed project to realise a virtual desk.

I'm developping dynamic pages for this virtual desk, mainly Java portlets,
actions and screens.
And i'm having problems with keeping my parameters context during the
navigation between the different pages.

In my Java programs (doBuild or getContent method specially), i use the
    rundata.getParameters().getString(paramName,"")
method for reaching the value of the parameter named "paramName".

But this doesn't work.
When i use this method to get the username for instance of the logged person
who calls the page, i get "null" instead of his real username.
I have tried another method:
    rundata.getUser().getUserName()
and this one works all the time

So i have a way to solve my problem for the username and password stuff, but
how can i manage to keep other parameters alive (accessible from any Java
page) during the whole user Jetspeed session ?

Can you explain to me why, while these two methods are applied to the same
object (rundata), the getParameters() one doesn't work and the getUser()
works ?...
How is the "ParameterParser" object managed within Jetspeed ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
St├ęphane