From "Kupersanin, William" <kupersa...@mitre.org>
Subject timestamp and pre-existing HBase tables
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:22:59 GMT
Hello,

I'm new to HBase/Phoenix and trying to reconcile the guidance for making a Phoenix view for
a preexisting table in HBase (found in the FAQ), and the guidance for being able to search
versions using the built-in HBase timestamp ( https://phoenix.apache.org/rowtimestamp.html)

I can create a view in Phoenix where I can see my pre-existing data as follows.
CREATE view   "dev_host_ip" (pk VARCHAR PRIMARY KEY, "f1"."ip" VARCHAR);

If I create a table instead of a view, I can not access my data via Phoenix.

However, if I try to add a timestamp with view, I get an error "Declaring a column as row_timestamp
is not allowed for views"

So is there a way to take advantage of built-in timestamps on preexisting HBase tables? If
so, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
--Willie