From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 released
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2020 18:22:47 GMT
Responding with my VP Phoenix hat, as this worries me with blurred-lines
of what is "Vendor" and "Apache".

First, Cloudera/Hortonworks and any other company who redistributes some
version of Apache Phoenix (henceforth, called a "vendor") do not do so
as official Apache Phoenix releases. Vendors do not have the ability to
create Apache Phoenix releases. They can only create releases based on
some Apache Phoenix release. Only the Phoenix PMC holds the power to
create Apache Phoenix releases.

The "Phoenix for CDH" releases created in the past were done as Apache
Phoenix community efforts. Specifically, committers and PMC members took
the time to personally ensure that releases of Apache Phoenix work
against specific CDH versions. These are volunteer efforts (as all
Apache efforts are), not corporate efforts.

The future roadmap of what CDH releases (or any other Apache
Hadoop/HBase "compatible" release) by the Phoenix PMC is a wholly
separate process from what any vendor creates as some derivative of
Apache Phoenix.

(Aside: sometimes, vendors employ people who work on Apache projects,
but they are held to a high standard to act within specific guidelines
to prevent these lines from being blurred.)

Finally, again, these Phoenix releases built against CDH done by the
community are volunteer-driven. We would be very happy to have more
people volunteering time to donate their time and efforts to creating
more Apache Phoenix releases which we can provide to our users.
Contacting the dev@phoenix.apache.org list is the best way to get started.

Sorry this was so heavy-handed -- this is a very subtle but important
distinction that Apache projects need to always be very clear about.

- Josh