From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Query on phoenix upgrade to 5.1.0
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2020 16:55:40 GMT
Aleksandr and Prathap,

Upgrades are done in Phoenix as they always have been. You should deploy
the new version of phoenix-server jars to HBase, and then the first time
a client connects with the Phoenix JDBC driver, that client will trigger
an update to any system tables schema.

As such, you need to make sure that this client has permission to alter
the phoenix system tables that exist, often requiring admin-level access
to hbase. Your first step should be collecting DEBUG log from your
Phoenix JDBC client on upgrade.

Please also remember that 5.0.0 is pretty old at this point -- we're
overdue for a 5.1.0. There may be existing issues that have already been
fixed around the upgrade. Doing a search on Jira if you've not done so
already is important.