From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is the phoenix-queryserver-client-4.14.2-HBase-1.4.jar?
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2019 11:12:33 GMT
"phoenix-queryserver-client" is the name of the Maven module which holds
the required code for the "JDBC thin client", aka PQS client, aka
"queryserver client".

Maven convention is that a jar with the name of the Maven module is created.

However, the majority of the code for the thin client is pulled from
another Apache project. In fact, we only have one piece of code that we
maintain client-side to connect to PQS.

That third party code _does_ need to be included on the classpath for
you to use the client. Thus, a shaded jar is created, with the
human-readable name "thin-client" to make it very clear to you that this
is the jar the use.

The Maven build shows how all of this work.