From Eric Owhadi <eric.owh...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Re: is Apache phoenix reliable enough?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2019 22:59:44 GMT
From: Eric Owhadi
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2019 5:54 PM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: RE: Re: is Apache phoenix reliable enough?

Hi everyone,
I stumbled on this post asking if there is alternative to Phoenix. The answer is most definitively
yes:
Apache Trafodion :
Here is a bulleted list that comes to mind that should trigger your interest:

  *   Based on very mature SQL engine donated by HP to Open Source coming from NonStop MPP
database (200M dollars worth of IP)
  *   It can run the 101  very complex TPC-DS queries (along with TPC-C)
  *   Also running on top of Hbase
  *   Fully transactional with a distributed transaction manager (so scale out even with transaction
enabled)
  *   Secondary index salted or unsalted, covering index (all transactionally protected)
  *   Hash Joins, Merge Join Nested Joins, CROSS/INNER/LEFT, RIGHT
  *   Hash grouping and sorted grouping
  *   Big Memory Operator (Hash Join/Group By, Sort etc) with graceful overflow to disk
  *   Full support for parallelism, including partitioned, pipelined and operator parallelism
  *   Native expressions for scalar expressions
  *   Subquery unnesting
  *   Salting, Divisioning and very efficient Multi-Dimensional Access Method (equivalent
of HBase Fuzzy Row filter)
  *   Align Row format for all tables mutable or immutable(One full row on a single hbase
CELL, latest version of Phoenix implemented the concept for immutable tables).
  *   Can do both OLAP and OLTP
  *   JDBC Type 2 and 4/ODBC/.NET drivers
  *   Still actively developed
  *   There are more advanced features in the commercial version, but I feel it is not the
place to advertise commercial products...
  *   Trafodion is considered NewSQL, basically reclaim all features of RDBMS, while being
scalable OUT, like a NoSQL. It is being used to replace traditional RDBMS where scalability
is the issue. No compromise on transaction, index or other bells and whistle traditionally
found in classic RDBMS.
- The commercial version of Trafodion is supported by Esgyn Corp.

Hope this helps,
Eric Owhadi
Esgyn Corporation