From "Hengesbach, Martin" <Martin.Hengesb...@fiz-Karlsruhe.de>
Subject AW: is Apache phoenix reliable enough?
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2019 06:08:54 GMT
No, we haven’t considered it yet. But it looks interesting.

Don’t understand me wrong, I like Phoenix. When it works, it is a great database and meets
our requirements. But we didn’t get rid of the problems (and when I look at the answers
from Jaanai and Flavio, we are not the only one). We hoped that with Phoenix 5 the problems
are reduced, but at the moment it didn’t looks like.

We have not yet searched for alternatives, but are beginning to keep our eyes open.

Von: jesse [mailto:chat2jesse@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 25. Juni 2019 06:40
An: user@phoenix.apache.org
Betreff: Re: is Apache phoenix reliable enough?

Have you considered : CockRoach DB?

It is similar to Google Spanner but with soft clock mechanism.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019, 11:02 PM Hengesbach, Martin <Martin.Hengesbach@fiz-karlsruhe.de<mailto:Martin.Hengesbach@fiz-karlsruhe.de>>
wrote:
Hi,

we are using Phoenix in production since more than 2 years. We are quite unhappy with the
reliability of Phoenix. We migrated from Oracle because of the performance (we have tables
with up to 200M records, each record up to 30 MB in size, up to 10 selective columns). Phoenix
is really much faster than Oracle (20 nodes cluster).

But we have problems with

•         Phoenix totally hanging, only restart helps (We were able to reduce this from
daily to monthly)

•         incorrect indices, need rebuild

•         select statements not producing the expected (specified) results

•         Upserts sporadically not working without error message

•         Some not reproducible errors

We are thinking about switching to another database, but the question is: what is better (reliable
and performant)?

Conclusion: With the current status of Phoenix, I would never use it again.

Regards
Martin