From "Hengesbach, Martin" <Martin.Hengesb...@fiz-Karlsruhe.de>
Subject AW: is Apache phoenix reliable enough?
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2019 06:01:48 GMT
Hi,

we are using Phoenix in production since more than 2 years. We are quite unhappy with the
reliability of Phoenix. We migrated from Oracle because of the performance (we have tables
with up to 200M records, each record up to 30 MB in size, up to 10 selective columns). Phoenix
is really much faster than Oracle (20 nodes cluster).

But we have problems with

·         Phoenix totally hanging, only restart helps (We were able to reduce this from daily
to monthly)

·         incorrect indices, need rebuild

·         select statements not producing the expected (specified) results

·         Upserts sporadically not working without error message

·         Some not reproducible errors

We are thinking about switching to another database, but the question is: what is better (reliable
and performant)?

Conclusion: With the current status of Phoenix, I would never use it again.

Regards
Martin