From Hieu Nguyen <h...@box.com>
Subject Local Index data not replicating for older HBase versions
Date Wed, 01 May 2019 03:54:46 GMT
Hi,

We are on Phoenix 4.14-cdh5.11.  We are experiencing an issue where local
index data is not being replicated through HBase replication.  As suggested
in a previous email thread (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/984fba3c8abd944846deefb3ea285195e0436b9181b9779feac39b59@%3Cuser.phoenix.apache.org%3E),
we have enabled replication for the local indexes (the "L#0" column family
on the same table).  We wrote an integration test to demonstrate this issue
on top of 4.14-cdh5.11 branch (
https://github.com/hnguyen08/phoenix/commit/3589cb45d941c6909fb3deb5f5abb0f8dfa78dd7
).

After some investigation and debugging, we discovered the following:
1. Commit a2f4d7eebec621b58204a9eb78d552f18dcbcf24 (PHOENIX-3827) fixed the
issue, but only in Phoenix for HBase1.3+.  It uses the
miniBatchOp.addOperationsFromCP() API introduced in HBase1.3.
Unfortunately, for the time being, we are stuck on cdh5.11 (based on
HBase1.2).
2. IndexUtil.writeLocalUpdates() is called in both implementations of
IndexCommitter, both taking skipWAL=true.  It seems like we'd actually want
to not skip WAL to ensure that local-index updates are replicated correctly
(since, as mentioned in the above email thread, "HBase-level replication of
the data table will not trigger index updates").  After changing the
skipWAL flag to false, the above integration test passes.

Would it make sense to fix local-index replication for Phoenix versions on
<= HBase1.2 by setting skipWAL to false for writeLocalUpdates?  As far as I
can tell, it is not a perfect solution compared to using
addOperationsFromCP() because the local index update still wouldn't be
atomic.  But at least local-index updates can be replicated.  Let me know
if I'm missing something.  Happy to file a JIRA or submit a fix.

Thanks,
-Hieu