From Abhishek Talluri <abhishektall...@cloudera.com>
Subject Regarding Secondary indexing write path
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2018 17:46:38 GMT
Hi All,

I am referring to the presentation that is given in SF Hbase Meetup in
2013, attached it for reference. The write path for secondary indexing
states that,
-> co-processor calculates the index updates and wal edits
-> Writes it to the WAL (Making it durable)
-> Then write the index updates
-> Then proceed to the Memstore.

But after looking at the code base (looked into 4.7 and 4.14), it looks
like the write to index tables happen in the postBatchMutate phase which is
after the MemStore write finishes. I wanted to check with the community to
see if the flowchart is outdated. I feel that series of steps should be:
-> co-processor calculates the index updates and wal edits
-> Writes it to the WAL (Making it durable)
-> Then proceed to the Memstore.
-> Then write the index updates

Appreciate any input on this. I want to clarify this because we see a case
where the write path could be creating some delay between write to WAL and
MemStore and creating some out of sync issue when using hbase lily indexer.

Thanks,
Abhishek Talluri