From Gerald Sangudi <gsang...@23andme.com>
Subject Salting based on partial rowkeys
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:56:10 GMT
Hello folks,

We have a requirement for salting based on partial, rather than full,
rowkeys. My colleague Mike Polcari has identified the requirement and
proposed an approach.

I found an already-open JIRA ticket for the same issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-4757. I can provide more
details from the proposal.

The JIRA proposes a syntax of SALT_BUCKETS(col, ...) = N, whereas Mike
proposes SALT_COLUMN=col or SALT_COLUMNS=col, ... .

The benefit at issue is that users gain more control over partitioning, and
this can be used to push some additional aggregations and hash joins down
to region servers.

I would appreciate any go-ahead / thoughts / guidance / objections /
feedback. I'd like to be sure that the concept at least is not
objectionable. We would like to work on this and submit a patch down the
road. I'll also add a note to the JIRA ticket.

Thanks,
Gerald