From Pradheep Shanmugam <Pradheep.Shanmu...@infor.com>
Subject Phoenix Client threads
Date Tue, 22 May 2018 15:52:00 GMT
Hi,

We have table with key as (type, id1, id2) (type is same for all rows where as id1 and id2
are unique for each row) which is salted (30 salt buckets)
The load on this table is about 30 queries/sec with each query taking ~6ms
we are using phoenix 4.7.0 non-thin client
we have query like below

SELECT tab.a, tab.b
FROM tab
WHERE tab.id1 = '1F64F5DY0J0A03692'
AND tab.type = 4
AND tab.isActive = 1;

CLIENT 30-CHUNK 0 ROWS 0 BYTES PARALLEL 30-WAY ROUND ROBIN RANGE SCAN OVER TAB [0,4, '1F64F5DY0J0A03692']
    SERVER FILTER BY TS.ISACTIVE = 1

Here I could see that about 30 threads are being used for this query..here ‘type’ is same
for all rows..and thought that it is the reason for looking into all the chunks to get the
key and hence using 30 threads

Then I ran the same query on a similar table with keys rearranged (id1, id2, type) and salted
(30)

But still I see same 30 threads are being used , thought it can uniquely identify a row with
given id1 which should be in one of the chunks (is this due to salting that it does not know
where the keys is)

CLIENT 30-CHUNK PARALLEL 30-WAY ROUND ROBIN RANGE SCAN OVER TAB [0, '1F64F5DY0J0A03692']
    SERVER FILTER BY (TYPE = 4 AND TS.ISACTIVE = 1)

Currently I am exceeding my nproc limit set in my app server with (phoenix threads 128 and
hconnection threads reaching 256 = 384 threads). Can you please throw some light on phoenix
connections and Hconnections  and how to reduce that to reasonable level..and also on the
above query plans. Should we consider reducing the SALT Number to 10( we have 10 region servers)?

Thanks,
Pradheep