From "Taylor, Ronald (Ronald)" <Ronald.Tay...@cchmc.org>
Subject Re: using an array field as an index - PHOENIX-1544
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:29:13 GMT
Hello James,

I did a search using PHOENIX-1544 and could not find any updates to your June 2015 post on
the Phoenix list, so I wanted to ask: what is the current status for indexing array fields
over immutable (or even mutable) tables? We could certainly use such.

Ron

On 2015/06/21 23:10:04, James Taylor <j...@apache.org<mailto:j...@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Hey Leon,>
> I filed PHOENIX-1544 a while back for indexing arrays over immutable>
> tables. If you're interested in contributing a patch, that'd be great.>
> I'm happy to help you along the way.>
> Thanks,>
> James>
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Leon Prouger <le...@gmail.com<mailto:le...@gmail.com>>
wrote:>
> > Hey James, thank you for replying.>
> > Yes you're right, this option is pretty useless is our case. We've been>
> > thinking to create a separate table which will model the array with one to>
> > many relation, then index it and perform join with the main table for every>
> > query. Like:>
> >>
> > Main table: PK(id), data columns>
> > Array table: PK(id, array cell), index of the array cell>
> >>
> > But I wonder is the join gonna be faster then full scan of the main table.>
> >>
> > Is there any plans for implementing an array index? Maybe it can be done for>
> > immutable tables only.>
> >>

> > On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM James Taylor <ja...@apache.org<mailto:ja...@apache.org>>>
> > wrote:>
> >>>
> >> Hey Leon,>
> >> You can have an array in an index, but it has to be at the end of the>
> >> PK constraint which is not very useful and likely not what you want ->
> >> it'd essentially be equivalent of having the array at the end of your>
> >> primary key constraint.>
> >>>
> >> The other alternative I can think of that may be more useful is to use>
> >> functional indexing[1] on specific array elements. You'd need to know>
> >> the position of the element that you're indexing and querying against>
> >> in advance, though.>
> >>>
> >> [1] http://phoenix.apache.org/secondary_indexing.html#Functional_Index>

Ronald C. Taylor, Ph.D.
Divisions of Immunobiology and Biomedical Informatics
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Office phone: 513-803-4880
Cell phone:     509-783-7308
Email: ronald.taylor@cchmc.org<mailto:ronald.taylor@cchmc.org>