From Lukáš Lalinský <lalin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Include python-phoenixdb into Phoenix
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2018 20:55:41 GMT
I'm fine with including the code. The license already matches Phoenix, is
there anything else that you would need regarding that?

Releasing Python code involves building the source distribution package and
uploading it to PyPI. If you end up using the python-phoenixdb project, I
can give you full access to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/phoenixdb.

Wheels are mostly useful when you have non-Python code in the package,
which is not the case here.

This is the (simple) process I use:

https://github.com/lalinsky/python-phoenixdb/blob/master/RELEASING.rst

You could just publish the tar.gz on Apache servers, but uploading to PyPI
is preferable.

One thing that needs to be taken care of is CI. Unlike the Phoenix itself,
the test suite is unable to run an embedded version of Phoenix/HBase.

Lukas

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:38 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously, I'm in favor of this. Thanks for bringing it up again, Ankit.
>
> I remember Lukas giving his "blessing" to the project being pulled up
> into Apache Phoenix in the past. It seems like there are multiple
> authors on the pyPhoenix fork -- we'll need to make sure that we have
> all authors on board with this decision.
>
> It seems like making a Python "Wheel" would be the lowest-barrier to
> entry on getting something usable for people from the ASF. I don't
> know what, if any, infrastructure exists to distribute Python modules.
> https://packaging.python.org/glossary/#term-built-distribution
>
> I feel like a sub-directory in the phoenix repository would be the
> easiest to make this work (for now). A separate repo would also work.
> I know phoenixdb has some tests -- I assume the same tests (plus more)
> exist for pyPhoenix but I have not validated this.
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Ankit Singhal <ankit@apache.org> wrote:
> > Re-opening the thread as I can extend help towards the IP clearance
> > process[1] to include python-phoenixdb[2] if Lukas Lalinsky and community
> > agrees to it.
> >
> > I found both the repositories[2][3] on par but we should let first Lukáš
> > Lalinský (the original owner) to confirm if he agrees to contribute his
> > work[2].
> >
> > @dev, We can discuss any concerns/suggestions towards it before I'll
> start a
> > formal vote for inclusion.
> >
> > Details on packaging and progress will be tracked on JIRA[4].
> >
> > [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
> > [2] https://github.com/lalinsky/python-phoenixdb
> > [3] https://github.com/Pirionfr/pyPhoenix
> > [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-4636
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ankit Singhal
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 1:30 AM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks, Dimitri. A pull request would be great. Looks like the
> outstanding
> >> items are:
> >> - Fixing licensing
> >> - Deciding on package structure. FWIW, the phoenix-spark module has
> scala
> >> code, so this is a little bit of precedence for non Java code.
> >> - Tweaking our release process/scripts to handle Python appropriately.
> Is
> >> that an ASF way of releasing Python libraries?
> >>
> >> I haven't looked yet, but is there good test coverage for all this? What
> >> about backward compatibility - any tests in place to validate that
> [...]
Lalinský merged
> the

so he is not actively

it uses the JSON