In SQL, you use IS with NULL or NOT NULL as a way to test for null since column = NULL will never return true. I’ve never seen a SQL dialect that allows column IS true or column IS 4 as some kind of alternative to using an equality expression. More on that here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/859762/is-this-the-proper-way-to-do-boolean-test-in-sql