From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jdbc driver - fat vs thin and hbase-site.xml
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2017 20:02:55 GMT
Hi Marcelo,

The requirement for hbase-site.xml and core-site.xml to be on the
classpath are a "wart", resulting from the close ties to HBase and
Hadoop -- much of the Kerberos authentication code is inherited from
Hadoop, and thus requires some of that configuration.

I'd encourage you to look at the contents of the core-site.xml and
hbase-site.xml files. There is very likely nothing that you would need
to change in these files if you add a new node to your cluster.

The thin-client talks to the Phoenix Query Server instead of talking
directly to HBase which does simplify the scenario. However, using the
thin driver implies that you're (always) doing more work to answer a
equivalent query as compared to the thick driver.