From Marcelo Valle <mvall...@gmail.com>
Subject jdbc driver - fat vs thin and hbase-site.xml
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2017 16:11:56 GMT
Hi,

I am new to Apache Phoenix and I am trying to use it in a new project. I am
sorry if I am asking something basic here, but I was struggling to find
this info on the web.

I successfully created a simple application using jdbc fat driver, starting
up phoenix using HBaseTestingUtility without any problems, I was able to
connect, test, and make sure my code is working as expected.

Now it's time to connect to the real cluster we have in dev environment. I
was surprised when I found out that just JDBC connection url and kerberos
auth are not enough to connect to the real cluster, I have to add some
hbase xml files with the cluster information to the classpath, so the
driver can know about the cluster nodes.

Question - is there a way to avoid that? If I use the thin driver, will I
still need these XML files? Suppose I add a new node to my phoenix cluster,
does it mean I will have to redeploy my application so the new node can be
considered?

Marcelo Valle
http://mvalle.com - @mvallebr