bq. But for tables inside, I am assuming the user needs access to the
Phoenix SYSTEM tables (and CREATE rights for the namespace in question
on the HBase level)? Is that the case? And if so, what are they able
to see, as in, only their information, or all information from other
tenants as well? If so, is there a way to truly isolate them?

Currently, a Phoenix user requires RWCXA on SYSTEM tables, thus, they will be able to see all the schemas and tables for all the tenants by simply running a query against SYSTEM.CATALOG . In order to restrict access against the underlying HBase ACLs, We may need to bring some cell level ACLs or control all access to system tables by some end point having access controller checks(like we do for HBase acl table).