From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: Cloudera parcel update
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2017 14:19:34 GMT
See below.

> I just need someone who tells which git repository to use, the
> branching/tagging policy, what should be done to release a parcel (i.e.
> compile, test ok, update docs, etc). For example, I need someone who says:
> to release a Phoenix CDH  parcel the process is this:
>
> 1. use this repo (e.g.https://github.com/pboado/phoenix-for-cloudera
> <https://github.com/pboado/phoenix-for-cloudera/tree/4.11-cdh5.11.2> or
> https://github.com/apahce/phoenix)

Well, if Apache Phoenix maintains it, I feel this should be moved under the
Apache Phoenix git repository, right?

> 2. create one or more branches for each supported release (i.e.
> 4.11-cdh-5.10 and 4.11-cdh-5.11)
>     - this imply to create an official compatibility matrix...obviously it
> doesn't make sense to issue a 4.11-cdh-4.1 for example)

Indeed.

> 3. The test that should be passed to consider a parcel ok for a release

Ha! good idea. Don't know if this can be automated, but deploying the
parcel, doing rolling upgrades, minor versions and major versions upgrades
tests, etc. We might be able to come with a list of things to test, and
increase/improve the list as we move forward...

> 4. Which documentation to write

Most probably documenting what has changed between the Apache core branch
and the updated parce branch? And how to build?

> 5. Who is responsible to update Phoenix site and announcements etc?

You? ;)

> 6. Call for contributors when a new release is needed and coordinate them

I'm already in! I have one CDH cluster and almost all CDH versions VMs...
So I can do a lot of tests, as long as it doesn't required a month of my
time every month ;)

JMS