From Pedro Boado <pedro.bo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloudera parcel update
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2017 07:12:17 GMT
Well I'd say it's the only option left to some of us to use Phoenix in our
clients/companies. Most of them only go for commercial distributions of
Hadoop for obvious reasons and cannot afford keeping up with frequent
platform update. In our case each platform migration is bigger (in terms of
effort etc) than some projects.

Cloudera stopped porting it to CDH because of strategic reasons. Basically
they say that Kudu does everything that Phoenix do... . Marketing strategy
I guess. And we cannot stay with Phoenix 4.5 and CDH 5.5 (and no bugfixes)
forever.

In the other hand Hortonworks already keeps Phoenix within their own
distribution so in this case the vendor itself sees strategic advantage on
this.

As long as I work for the same company I'll have to port Phoenix to CDH. So
I could help with it guys.

Maybe my only issue to publish the parcels is getting web hosting for them.