If you don't have secondary indexes, views and immutable table then upgrade from 4.5 to 4.9 will just add some new columns in SYSTEM.CATALOG and re-creates STATS table.
but still we have not tested an upgrade from 4.5 to 4.9, it is always advisable to do stop after every two versions (especially in production).