From "WangWeiyi" <c...@foxmail.com>
Subject Re: build index on existing big table
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2017 05:50:13 GMT
Jonathan,

Thank you for response.

If I use "create index" command to build a global index on an existing table,  what does Phoenix
do behind this command? How Phoenix build global index?

From:  "Jonathan Leech";<jonathaz@gmail.com>;
Date:  Sun, Jun 4, 2017 01:26 PM
To:  "user"<user@phoenix.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: build index on existing big table

Give Hbase region servers lots of memory, set number of Hbase store files and blocking files
way high. Major compact before and after. You can create an index a sync with map reduce but
not rebuild AFAIK. Also if rebuilding one or more local index, I found it better to drop it
first in Hbase, preserving the splits.

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 12:36 AM, co2y <co2y@foxmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am creating index on an existing big table, it is very slow. Sometimes, it is stuck
in “BUILDING” state.

> When building index on an existing big table, does it upsert data into index table? Is
there any other approaches like MapReduce to build index on existing tables?