From Jonathan Leech <jonat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: build index on existing big table
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2017 06:22:26 GMT
Create index uses Hbase apis to upsert data to Hbase. Async option gives you a Mapreduce command
to run. I think it bypasses a few things and writes the data straight into store files. Each
global index is in a separate Hbase table, local indexes behave differently.

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 11:50 PM, WangWeiyi <co2y@foxmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jonathan,
>
> Thank you for response.
>
> If I use "create index" command to build a global index on an existing table,  what does
Phoenix do behind this command? How Phoenix build global index?

> From:  "Jonathan Leech";<jonathaz@gmail.com>;
> Date:  Sun, Jun 4, 2017 01:26 PM
> To:  "user"<user@phoenix.apache.org>;
> Subject:  Re: build index on existing big table
>
> Give Hbase region servers lots of memory, set number of Hbase store files and blocking
files way high. Major compact before and after. You can create an index a sync with map reduce
but not rebuild AFAIK. Also if rebuilding one or more local index, I found it better to drop
it first in Hbase, preserving the splits.

> > On Jun 3, 2017, at 12:36 AM, co2y <co2y@foxmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am creating index on an existing big table, it is very slow. Sometimes, it is
stuck in “BUILDING” state.

> > When building index on an existing big table, does it upsert data into index table?
Is there any other approaches like MapReduce to build index on existing tables?