Currently you cannot rename a column, however PHOENIX-1598 laid the groundwork for this by putting a level of indirection between the HBase column qualifier and the Phoenix column name [1]. It would be great if someone could pick up PHOENIX-2341 as it'd just be a matter of updating the SYSTEM.CATALOG entry for a column to rename it.

Thanks,
James

[1] http://phoenix.apache.org/columnencoding.html