From Jonathan Leech <jonat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom Indexing Plug-in for Phoenix
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2017 00:51:29 GMT
Take a look at SOLR and Lucene. You should be able to a text search on the Hbase data written
via Phoenix. It works via the hbase replication mechanism so should be near-real time. I think
you would have to use the SOLR API to do the initial search, which would get you the Hbase
rowkey, which you could parse and do a follow up Phoenix query for additional data. Note that
I haven't done any of the above myself, so your mileage may vary.

> On Apr 3, 2017, at 6:27 PM, Randy <ruweih@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wondering if anyone knows whether there is an approach to swap in custom indexing implementation,
while leveraging all other functionalities of Phoenix. The initial goal is just in SELECT
query, but would be nice to make custom index maintenance integrated in record life cycle
as well.

> Phoenix supports secondary index already, but need to be more flexible with real large
data set when the format and quality varies.

> For example, assuming we have a table "PEOPLE" which has a column "NAME" stored person's
name. If there is a record with "Joe Smith" as the value of "NAME" column, it would be really
powerful if we can find it by variants or partial name as criteria. Ideally all the following
query would find the same record if we can plug-in a custom indexing implementation in Phoenix:

> SELECT * FROM PEOPLE WHERE NAME='Joe Smith';
> SELECT * FROM PEOPLE WHERE NAME='Smith,Joe';
> SELECT * FROM PEOPLE WHERE NAME='Joseph Smith';
>
> Given the secondary index has global vs. local implementation. I would imagine there
is some level of abstraction already on consuming the index. Not expecting it would be official
supported API, just some guidance on where to start would be greatly appreciated.