Could someone clarify how this property is used by Phoenix: phoenix.connection.consistency
If I set it in hbase-site.xml, does phoenix utilize it for every query (even queries from PQS)?

It's not documented on the website but it's defined in QueryServices.java:
// consistency configuration setting
public static final String CONSISTENCY_ATTRIB = "phoenix.connection.consistency";

And used in PhoenixConnection.java
this.consistency = JDBCUtil.getConsistencyLevel(url, this.info, this.services.getProps().get("phoenix.connection.consistency", QueryServicesOptions.DEFAULT_CONSISTENCY_LEVEL));