From Josh Mahonin <jmaho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is there a spark plugin?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2016 06:37:05 GMT
Hi,

It's a good question, and in short, I think Phoenix and Spark overall serve
orthogonal use cases.

If all of your needs are met with the Phoenix JDBC interface, you likely
have no need for Spark at all. However, if you have data in HBase/Phoenix
and would like to leverage Spark functionality, such as MLLib or GraphX,
then the phoenix-spark integration provides a way to do so. The
phoenix-spark documentation has a brief example of applying PageRank using
GraphX to a Phoenix table [1]

Best,

Josh

[1] https://phoenix.apache.org/phoenix_spark.html