From F21 <f21.gro...@gmail.com>
Subject Ordering of numbers generated by a sequence
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 02:55:43 GMT
I am using Phoenix 4.8.1 with HBase 1.2.3 and the Phoenix Query Server.

I want to use a sequence to generate a monotonically increasing id for
each row. Since the documentation states that 100 sequence numbers are
cached by default in the client (in my case, I assume the caching would
happen in the query server), what is the behavior if I have 2 query
servers (load-balanced)? Does this mean Server A would generate numbers
starting from 0, and Server B would generate numbers starting from 100?
I need to make sure that the id is in order on a global basis for the
whole table. Would setting the CACHE to 0 be the best of achieving this?

Also, as the ID is monotonically increasing, I plan to salt the table
using something like (no manual split points):

CREATE TABLE mytable (id BIGINT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,  VARCHAR)
SALT_BUCKETS = 20;

Without setting phoenix.query.rowKeyOrderSaltedTable to true, would I
still be able to get my records in order if I select them using
something like this?

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE id > 5 && id < 100 ORDER BY id

Thanks,

Francis