Thanks for following up with the root cause. This bug has been fixed in PHOENIX-930 and will appear in the next release (4.8.1).

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Yang Zhang <zhang.yang.dm@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks

I have already handled this problem with your help.
and I also  learned what make this mistake
when i create table with duplicate column name (i.e. create table test(id integer primary key,name char(32),name char(64))  )
phoenix will throw an exception but i can still find the wrong table. This cause my table doesn't match my metadata.
afther that, i can't drop my table and get the DoNotRetryIOException

I am not sure whether this is an issue or the version latter had handled this(my version is 4.4.0 ).
But  in my opinion ,phoenix shoule not create a helf table when customer's grammer has error.

Sorry for the issue you've hit, Yang Zhang. You may need to do the following to recover:
- drop the table from the hbase shell
- create a snapshot of the SYSTEM.CATALOG table just in case
- delete the rows for the table from the SYSTEM.CATALOG table (i.e. issue a DELETE FROM SYSTEM.CATALOG WHERE TABLE_SCHEM = <your schema name> AND TABLE_NAME = <your table name>)
- bounce your cluster (since the SYSTEM.CATALOG table is cached)