From Michael McAllister <mmcallis...@homeaway.com>
Subject Re: Enabling region replication on Phoenix metadata tables
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 19:03:52 GMT
You did alter specific tables to enable region replication on them, or create new tables with
region replication, correct?

Michael McAllister
Staff Data Warehouse Engineer | Decision Systems
mmcallister@HomeAway.com<mailto:mmcallister@HomeAway.com> | C: 512.423.7447 | skype:
michael.mcallister.ha<mailto:zimmkate@hotmail.com> | webex: https://h.a/mikewebex
[cid:image001.png@01D209D9.D43A7600]
This electronic communication (including any attachment) is confidential.  If you are not
an intended recipient of this communication, please be advised that any disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, copying or other use of this communication or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
 If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and promptly destroy all electronic and printed copies of this communication
and any attachment.

From: "Vommi, Nithin" <nithin.vommi@intel.com>
Date: Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM
To: "user@phoenix.apache.org" <user@phoenix.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Enabling region replication on Phoenix metadata tables

I meant, The region servers were never active and did not show up on UI

when I tried enabling region replication, I was not able to bring the HBase cluster.

I’m not sure what you mean here. Specifically referring to “bring the HBase cluster”.

[cid:image002.png@01D209D9.D43A7600]

From: "Vommi, Nithin" <nithin.vommi@intel.com<mailto:nithin.vommi@intel.com>>
Date: Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:42 PM
To: "user@phoenix.apache.org<mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>" <user@phoenix.apache.org<mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>>

I agree with Michael on enabling region replication for the SYSTEM.CATALOG table. But when
I tried enabling region replication, I was not able to bring the HBase cluster.  I am using
HBase 1.2.1 and Phoenix 4.7 (on Amazon EMR Platform)

Regards
Nithin

Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to enable region replication on the Phoenix
metadata tables. Specifically, SYSTEM.CATALOG et al.

From everything I’m reading it seems like it would be a good idea. Those tables are a single
point of failure for Phoenix. If they aren’t up then no Phoenix connection can be made.

[cid:image003.png@01D209D9.D43A7600]