From "Bulvik, Noam" <Noam.Bul...@teoco.com>
Subject RE: can I prevent rounding of a/b when a and b are integers
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:25:10 GMT
I checked both oracle and impala and in both 1/3 is 0.333 and not 0.
I think that SQL writer is not a programmer and he  does not care about data type. He just
want to get the correct results. BTW – it is not only constant, even expression like sum(case
when <condition > then 1 else 0 end) / count(*) will get wrong results unless you will
start implementing workarounds

From: John Hancock [mailto:jhancock1975@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:56 PM
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: Re: can I prevent rounding of a/b when a and b are integers

I think it is fairly standard in programming languages for / to mean integer division when
the operands used are integers.  Therefore 1/3=0 is not a surprising result to me; other programming
languages I have worked in give 1/3=0.  However if one of the operands to / is a decimal,
the result is also decimal, so 1.0/3 = 0.333... I don't think the behavior of / is incorrect
as is.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 4:45 AM, Heather, James (ELS-LON) <james.heather@elsevier.com<mailto:james.heather@elsevier.com>>