From Michael McAllister <mmcallis...@homeaway.com>
Subject Re: Tables can have schema name but indexes cannot
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:43:57 GMT
James

Thanks – looks like I was misled by DBVisualizer. The underlying hbase index tables automatically
have the parent table’s schema name prepended, which is perfect. For some reason in the
DBVisualizer object browser the indexes don’t show up in the correct schema, they’re showing
up in a schema named (null).

Michael McAllister
Staff Data Warehouse Engineer | Decision Systems
mmcallister@HomeAway.com<mailto:mmcallister@HomeAway.com> | C: 512.423.7447 | skype:
michael.mcallister.ha<mailto:zimmkate@hotmail.com> | webex: https://h.a/mikewebex
[cid:image001.png@01D1F48E.CF258110]
This electronic communication (including any attachment) is confidential.  If you are not
an intended recipient of this communication, please be advised that any disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, copying or other use of this communication or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
 If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and promptly destroy all electronic and printed copies of this communication
and any attachment.

From: James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM
To: user <user@phoenix.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Tables can have schema name but indexes cannot

Hi Michael,
SQL dictates that an index must be in the same schema as the table it's indexing.
Thanks,
James

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Michael McAllister <mmcallister@homeaway.com<mailto:mmcallister@homeaway.com>>
wrote:
Hi

Is there any reason we can specify the schema name for a table, but not an index. I note that
the grammar online makes it clear this isn’t part of the syntax, but it would be nice if
we could do it. To illustrate what I’d like:-

-- Create the table

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS MMCALLISTER.TEST
( c1 INTEGER NOT NULL
, c2 VARCHAR NULL
, c3 VARCHAR NULL
, CONSTRAINT TEST_PK PRIMARY KEY (c1)
);

-- This does not work

CREATE INDEX IF NOT EXISTS MMCALLISTER.TEST_IX01
ON MMCALLISTER.TEST
( c2 )
INCLUDE ( c3 );

-- This works