From "Chabot, Jerry" <jerry.p.cha...@hpe.com>
Subject RE: How to troubleshoot 'Could not find hash cache for joinId' which is failing always for some users and never for others
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2016 12:38:17 GMT
Here is another interesting tidbit.  One type of query works while the other does not. Again,
only for some users. Let me elaborate.

The view definition over an existing HBase table is as follows.

CREATE VIEW "asset_metadata" (
    L BINARY (16) NOT NULL,
    C unsigned_long NOT NULL,
    A BINARY(16) NOT NULL,
    ReverseTS unsigned_long NOT NULL, -- reverse timestamp
    "s".R unsigned_long,
    "s".W unsigned_long,
    "s".P BINARY(16),
    "s".N VARCHAR,
    "s".E VARCHAR,
    "s".S unsigned_long,
    "s".M unsigned_long,
    "s".CW unsigned_long,
    "s".T unsigned_int,
    "s".Y VARCHAR,
    "s".U unsigned_long,
        CONSTRAINT pk PRIMARY KEY (L, C, A, ReverseTS)
);

The L, A and P are actually guids which are stored as two longs.

There are two types of queries. One that uses L = (?,?) and another that uses L = ?. The former
does not work for some people. But, the latter does work for them. Both using the same single
L value.
select T1.L,T1.C,T1.A,T1.R,T1.W,T1.P,T1.N,T1.E,T1.S,T1.M, T1.CW, T1.T,T1.Y,T1.U FROM "asset_metadata"
T1
   WHERE R=(SELECT MAX(R) from "asset_metadata" WHERE L=T1.L AND C=T1.C AND A=T1.A AND C=?
AND L IN (?))
   AND T1.L in (?) AND T1.N ILIKE ? order by T1.N asc nulls first limit 100
versus
select T1.L,T1.C,T1.A,T1.R,T1.W,T1.P,T1.N,T1.E,T1.S,T1.M, T1.CW, T1.T,T1.Y,T1.U FROM "asset_metadata"
T1
   WHERE R=(SELECT MAX(R) from "asset_metadata" WHERE L=T1.L AND C=T1.C AND A=T1.A AND C=?
AND L =?)
   AND T1.L = ? AND T1.N ILIKE ? order by T1.N asc nulls first limit 100
BTW, the subquery is used to select the most recent revision for each L,C,A combo.
I thought the data may be the issue. For example, one region server is having a problem. If
it was data related, why would one query work and the other not?
Here is the execution plan.
CLIENT 1-CHUNK PARALLEL 1-WAY RANGE SCAN OVER asset_metadata [[135,175,226,230,143,212,79,165,161,24,97,85,113,180,224,47]]|
   SERVER FILTER BY (s.T = 1 AND s.N LIKE '%sai2016%')|    SERVER TOP 300 ROWS SORTED BY [T1.N]|CLIENT
MERGE SORT|    PARALLEL INNER-JOIN TABLE 0|        CLIENT 1-CHUNK PARALLEL 1-WAY RANGE SCAN
OVER asset_metadata [[135,175,226,230,143,212,79,165,161,24,97,85,113,180,224,47],251381657381109760]|
           SERVER AGGREGATE INTO ORDERED DISTINCT ROWS BY [L, C, A]|        CLIENT MERGE SORT|
   DYNAMIC SERVER FILTER BY (L, C, A) IN (($1.$2, $1.$3, $1.$4))|    AFTER-JOIN SERVER FILTER
BY T1.R = $1.$5|
I noticed there should be another C=? in the primary where clause so it is reflected in the
2nd range scan. However, the L is actually unique today so additional rows won’t be returned.
What this does tell me is the first range scan is the subquery. Which, without the hint to
use sort-merge, would be cached in memory. Correct?