From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix and HBase data type serialization issue
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2016 08:01:53 GMT
Hi Ankit,

All data stored in HBase is stored in the form of byte arrays. The
conversion from richer types (e.g. date) to byte arrays is one of the
(many) functionalities included in Phoenix.

When you add a date value in the form of a string to HBase directly
(bypassing Phoenix), you're simply saving the byte representation of
that string to HBase. Phoenix uses an encoded long value to store
dates in HBase, so when you try to read your date value from HBase via
Phoenix, it's simply interpreting the bytes as a long, which leads to
the unexpected date value that you're getting.

There are two options to do what you're doing: either (1) use Phoenix
for both reading and writing data, or (2) use the PDataType subclasses
(e.g. PDate, PLong, etc) to encode data before storing it to HBase.

- Gabriel