From "Narros, Eduardo (ELS-LON)" <e.nar...@elsevier.com>
Subject Phoenix has slow response times compared to HBase
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:42:14 GMT
Hi,

We are exploring starting to use Phoenix and have done some load tests to see whether Phoenix
would scale. We have noted that compared to HBase, Phoenix response times have a much slower
average as the number of concurrent users increases. We are trying to understand whether this
is expected or there is something we are missing out.

This is the test we have performed:

  *   Create table (20 columns) and load it with 400 million records indexed via a column
called 'uuid'.
  *   Perform the following queries using 10,20,100,200,400 and 600 users per second, each
user will perform each query twice:
     *   Phoenix: select * from schema.DOCUMENTS where uuid = ?
     *   Phoenix: select /*+ SERIAL SMALL */* from schema.DOCUMENTS where uuid = ?
     *   Hbase equivalent to: select * from schema.DOCUMENTS where uuid = ?
  *   The results are attached and they show that Phoenix response times are at least an order
of magnitude above those of HBase

The tests were run from the Master node of a CDH5.7.2 cluster with Phoenix 4.7.0.

Are these test results expected?

Kind Regards,

Edu

Elsevier Limited. Registered Office: The Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford, OX5
1GB, United Kingdom, Registration No. 1982084, Registered in England and Wales.