From <kannan.ramanat...@barclays.com>
Subject RE: Java Query timeout
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2016 19:01:35 GMT
Any pointers?

From: Ramanathan, Kannan: R&A (NYK)
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 15:08
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: RE: Java Query timeout

Can someone please take a look?

From: Ramanathan, Kannan: IT (NYK)
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 15:59
To: user@phoenix.apache.org<mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>
Subject: Java Query timeout

Hello All,

We're using Phoenix 4.7 with CDH 5.7.1. The query from Java client is timing out with this
error:

Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: callTimeout=60000, callDuration=60306: row ''
on table 'PHOENIX_TABLE' at region= PHOENIX_TABLE,,1462867135721.5bc05e2b5485f3fd550e9f93a795a100.,
hostname=ABC.com,60020,1469522152474, seqNum=245191
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller.callWithRetries(RpcRetryingCaller.java:159)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ResultBoundedCompletionService$QueueingFuture.run(ResultBoundedCompletionService.java:64)
                ... 3 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Call to ABC.com/1.1.1.1:60020 failed on local exception: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallTimeoutException:
Call id=60, waitTime=60005, operationTimeout=60000 expired.
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.wrapException(RpcClientImpl.java:1255)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.call(RpcClientImpl.java:1223)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:216)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient$BlockingRpcChannelImplementation.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:300)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.ClientProtos$ClientService$BlockingStub.scan(ClientProtos.java:32651)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallable.call(ScannerCallable.java:213)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallable.call(ScannerCallable.java:62)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller.callWithoutRetries(RpcRetryingCaller.java:200)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas$RetryingRPC.call(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:371)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas$RetryingRPC.call(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:345)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller.callWithRetries(RpcRetryingCaller.java:126)
                ... 4 more
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallTimeoutException: Call id=60, waitTime=60005, operationTimeout=60000
expired.
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.Call.checkAndSetTimeout(Call.java:70)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.call(RpcClientImpl.java:1197)
                ... 13 more

The same query works fine in sqlline (taking about 30 seconds to finish).

>From various posts/blogs/user forums, it appears that client side hbase-site.xml should
have these properties set possibly with higher numbers:

1) hbase.rpc.timeout
2) phoenix.query.keepAliveMs
3) phoenix.query.timeoutMs

Now:

1) From the exceptions, it looks like timeout is set to 1min (60000ms) and actual query takes
little more than a minute (60306ms) to finish. Why does Java client takes longer to finish
than sqlline? The query returns only one record so there shouldn't be network latency or something
2) I have added the above three properties to client side hbase-site.xml but still getting
the same error. I am pretty sure (checked the property values by querying HBaseConfiguration.create())
hbase-site.xml is set first in the class path. What am I missing here? How can I be sure these
properties are actually fed correctly?

Thanks in advance

Kannan.

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation, advice, offer or
solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an official confirmation of any transaction.
It is directed at persons who are professionals and is not intended for retail customer use.
Intended for recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at: www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer<http://www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer>.

For important disclosures, please see: www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer<http://www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer>
regarding market commentary from Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants;
and in respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific issuers, please
see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.

For important disclosures, please see: www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding