phoenix-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From John Leach <jlea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tables can have schema name but indexes cannot
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:46:46 GMT
Michael,

The object browser in DBVisualizer is driven by the jdbc driver.  If you get any weird interaction,
it usually means the JDBC implementation has an issue.  We had issues at Splice Machine with
our Foreign Keys returning incorrectly and then realized any deviation from the spec causes
significant issues on the application side.

Regards,
John

> On Aug 12, 2016, at 11:43 AM, Michael McAllister <mmcallister@homeaway.com> wrote:
> 
> James
>  
> Thanks – looks like I was misled by DBVisualizer. The underlying hbase index tables
automatically have the parent table’s schema name prepended, which is perfect. For some
reason in the DBVisualizer object browser the indexes don’t show up in the correct schema,
they’re showing up in a schema named (null).
>  
> Michael McAllister
> Staff Data Warehouse Engineer | Decision Systems
> mmcallister@HomeAway.com <mailto:mmcallister@HomeAway.com> | C: 512.423.7447 |
skype: michael.mcallister.ha <mailto:zimmkate@hotmail.com> | webex: https://h.a/mikewebex
<https://h.a/mikewebex>
> <image001.png>
> This electronic communication (including any attachment) is confidential.  If you are
not an intended recipient of this communication, please be advised that any disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, copying or other use of this communication or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
 If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and promptly destroy all electronic and printed copies of this communication
and any attachment.
>  
> From: James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org <mailto:jamestaylor@apache.org>>
> Reply-To: "user@phoenix.apache.org <mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>" <user@phoenix.apache.org
<mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>>
> Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM
> To: user <user@phoenix.apache.org <mailto:user@phoenix.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: Tables can have schema name but indexes cannot
>  
> Hi Michael, 
> SQL dictates that an index must be in the same schema as the table it's indexing.
> Thanks,
> James
>  
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Michael McAllister <mmcallister@homeaway.com <mailto:mmcallister@homeaway.com>>
wrote:
> Hi
>  
> Is there any reason we can specify the schema name for a table, but not an index. I note
that the grammar online makes it clear this isn’t part of the syntax, but it would be nice
if we could do it. To illustrate what I’d like:-
>  
> -- Create the table
>  
> CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS MMCALLISTER.TEST
> ( c1 INTEGER NOT NULL
> , c2 VARCHAR NULL
> , c3 VARCHAR NULL
> , CONSTRAINT TEST_PK PRIMARY KEY (c1)
> );
>  
> -- This does not work
>  
> CREATE INDEX IF NOT EXISTS MMCALLISTER.TEST_IX01
> ON MMCALLISTER.TEST
> ( c2 )
> INCLUDE ( c3 );
>  
> -- This works
>  
> CREATE INDEX IF NOT EXISTS TEST_IX01
> ON MMCALLISTER.TEST
> ( c2 )
> INCLUDE ( c3 );
>  
> Michael McAllister
> Staff Data Warehouse Engineer | Decision Systems
> mmcallister@HomeAway.com <mailto:mmcallister@HomeAway.com> | C: 512.423.7447 <tel:512.423.7447>
| skype: michael.mcallister.ha <mailto:zimmkate@hotmail.com> | webex: https://h.a/mikewebex
<https://h.a/mikewebex>
> <image002.png>
> This electronic communication (including any attachment) is confidential.  If you are
not an intended recipient of this communication, please be advised that any disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, copying or other use of this communication or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
 If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and promptly destroy all electronic and printed copies of this communication
and any attachment.
>  


Mime
View raw message