From "Placinta, Irina (ELS)" <i.placi...@elsevier.com>
Subject querying time for Apache Phoenix
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:07:34 GMT
Hi,

We are interested in querying performance of Phoenix on small to large datasets. We have Apache
Phoenix installed on an EMR with 5 instances.

The querying times we get are slow compared to the equivalent query in hbase, for example:

Table Documents with primary key UUID and index on profile_id

        Apache Phoenix  Hbase
400k rows dataset: select * from documents where uuid = 10-a
        0.25 sec        0.02 sec
400k rows dataset: select profile_id from documents where uuid = 10-a
        0.20 sec        0.02 sec

Hbase seems 10x faster than Phoenix, is there some tuning we can do to achieve better results?
We are querying the DB programatically (scala) & also using the client sqlline.

Thank you!