+user@phoenix
Larry which version of HBase and Phoenix are you using? Starting from 4.7 Phoenix takes care of automatically renewing scanner leases which should such timeouts. To take advantage of that feature, you would need to use an HBase version to a version as recent as 0.98.17 if you are using HBase-0.98 or 1.3.01.2.11.0.31.1.3 if you are using HBase-1.x