From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: phoenix on non-apache hbase
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:37:22 GMT
This interests me too. I asked Cloudera in their community forums a while back but got no answer
on this. I hope they don’t leave us out in the cold. I tried building it too before with
the instructions here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2834. I could get it to
build, but I couldn’t get it to work using the Phoenix installation instructions. For some
reason, dropping the server jar into CDH 5.7.0 HBase lib directory didn’t change things.
HBase seemed not to use it. Now that this is out, I’ll give it another try hoping that there
is a way. If anyone has any leads to help, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ben

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 6:39 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Koert,
>
> Apache Phoenix goes through a lot of work to provide multiple versions of Phoenix for
various versions of Apache HBase (0.98, 1.1, and 1.2 presently). The builds for each of these
branches are tested against those specific versions of HBase, so I doubt that there are issues
between Apache Phoenix and the corresponding version of Apache HBase.

> In general, I believe older versions of Phoenix clients can work against newer versions
of Phoenix running in HBase; but, of course, you'd be much better off using equivalent versions
on both client and server.

> If you are having issues running Apache Phoenix over vendor-creations of HBase, I would
encourage you to reach out on said-vendor's support channels.