From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: phoenix on non-apache hbase
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 03:36:14 GMT
Yes a stock client should work with a server modified for CDH assuming both client and server
versions are within the bounds specified by the backwards compatibility policy (https://phoenix.apache.org/upgrading.html)

"Phoenix maintains backward compatibility across at least two minor releases to allow for
no downtime through server-side rolling restarts upon upgrading."

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 8:09 PM, Koert Kuipers <koert@tresata.com> wrote:
>
> is phoenix client also affect by this? or does phoenix server isolate the client?
>
> is it reasonable to expect a "stock" phoenix client to work against a custom phoenix
server for cdh 5.x? (with of course the phoenix client and server having same phoenix version).

>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:55 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andrew,
>>
>> Since we are still on CDH 5.5.2, can I just use your custom version? Phoenix is one
of the reasons that we are blocked from upgrading to CDH 5.7.1. Thus, CDH 5.7.1 is only on
our test cluster. One of our developers wants to try out the Phoenix Spark plugin. Did you
try it out in yours too? Does it work if you did?

>> Thanks,
>> Ben

>>> Yes
>>>
>>> As is the Cloudera HBase in 5.6, 5.5, 5.4, ... quite different from Apache HBase
in coprocessor and RPC internal extension APIs.

>>> We have made some ports of Apache Phoenix releases to CDH here: https://github.com/chiastic-security/phoenix-for-cloudera/tree/4.7-HBase-1.0-cdh5.5

>>> It's a personal project of mine, not something supported by the community. Sounds
like I should look at what to do with CDH 5.6 and 5.7.

back but got no answer on this. I hope they don’t leave us out in the cold. I tried building
it too before with the instructions here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2834.
I could get it to build, but I couldn’t get it to work using the Phoenix installation instructions.
For some reason, dropping the server jar into CDH 5.7.0 HBase lib directory didn’t change
things. HBase seemed not to use it. Now that this is out, I’ll give it another try hoping
that there is a way. If anyone has any leads to help, please let me know.

of Phoenix for various versions of Apache HBase (0.98, 1.1, and 1.2 presently). The builds
for each of these branches are tested against those specific versions of HBase, so I doubt
that there are issues between Apache Phoenix and the corresponding version of Apache HBase.

newer versions of Phoenix running in HBase; but, of course, you'd be much better off using
equivalent versions on both client and server.

of HBase, I would encourage you to reach out on said-vendor's support channels.

so i