From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: phoenix on non-apache hbase
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:55:58 GMT
Andrew,

Since we are still on CDH 5.5.2, can I just use your custom version? Phoenix is one of the
reasons that we are blocked from upgrading to CDH 5.7.1. Thus, CDH 5.7.1 is only on our test
cluster. One of our developers wants to try out the Phoenix Spark plugin. Did you try it out
in yours too? Does it work if you did?

Thanks,
Ben

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 7:47 PM, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  is cloudera's hbase 1.2.0-cdh5.7.0 that different from apache HBase 1.2.0?
>
> Yes
>
> As is the Cloudera HBase in 5.6, 5.5, 5.4, ... quite different from Apache HBase in coprocessor
and RPC internal extension APIs.

<https://github.com/chiastic-security/phoenix-for-cloudera/tree/4.7-HBase-1.0-cdh5.5?files=1>

> It's a personal project of mine, not something supported by the community. Sounds like
I should look at what to do with CDH 5.6 and 5.7.

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 7:37 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> This interests me too. I asked Cloudera in their community forums a while back but
got no answer on this. I hope they don’t leave us out in the cold. I tried building it too
before with the instructions here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2834 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2834>.
I could get it to build, but I couldn’t get it to work using the Phoenix installation instructions.
For some reason, dropping the server jar into CDH 5.7.0 HBase lib directory didn’t change
things. HBase seemed not to use it. Now that this is out, I’ll give it another try hoping
that there is a way. If anyone has any leads to help, please let me know.

>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>

>>> On Jun 9, 2016, at 6:39 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com <mailto:josh.elser@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Koert,
>>>
>>> Apache Phoenix goes through a lot of work to provide multiple versions of Phoenix
for various versions of Apache HBase (0.98, 1.1, and 1.2 presently). The builds for each of
these branches are tested against those specific versions of HBase, so I doubt that there
are issues between Apache Phoenix and the corresponding version of Apache HBase.

>>> In general, I believe older versions of Phoenix clients can work against newer
versions of Phoenix running in HBase; but, of course, you'd be much better off using equivalent
versions on both client and server.

>>> If you are having issues running Apache Phoenix over vendor-creations of HBase,
I would encourage you to reach out on said-vendor's support channels.