From Sumit Nigam <sumit_o...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Secondary index rebuilding
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 07:56:37 GMT
Thank you James. This is exactly what I wanted.
I have another point about this topic. Are updates written to index table first or to the
primary table? The link you gave below states that updates are first written to primary table
(unless WAL is disabled). Another link https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/wiki/Secondary-Indexing mentions
that index is written to, first.
I use Phoenix 4.5.1
Thanks,Sumit

      From: James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
 To: "user@phoenix.apache.org" <user@phoenix.apache.org>; Sumit Nigam <sumit_only@yahoo.com>

 Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 9:59 AM
 Subject: Re: Secondary index rebuilding

Yes, see https://phoenix.apache.org/secondary_indexing.html#Consistency_Guarantees

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016, Sumit Nigam <sumit_only@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,
I recently noticed that one of my secondary index was short of 2 entries compared to data
table.
AFAIK, the first update is always to index table. So, the only way an index table could fall
behind the main table is when the index was disabled by phoenix. Maybe the region server hosting
that index was not able to take the update.
If that is the case, then I had following questions:
1. Is there a flag which forces phoenix to internally cause an index rebuild instead of totally
disabling it? Or do I have to manually rebuild index? 2. Is there a flag which can prevent
disabling of index altogether? In that case an error would get returned to the client that
a write failed. This is more useful because I'd like to always keep index and main table in
sync.
Thanks,Sumit