From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: phoenix on non-apache hbase
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:47:49 GMT
>  is cloudera's hbase 1.2.0-cdh5.7.0 that different from apache HBase 1.2.0?

Yes

As is the Cloudera HBase in 5.6, 5.5, 5.4, ... quite different from Apache HBase in coprocessor
and RPC internal extension APIs.

We have made some ports of Apache Phoenix releases to CDH here: https://github.com/chiastic-security/phoenix-for-cloudera/tree/4.7-HBase-1.0-cdh5.5

It's a personal project of mine, not something supported by the community. Sounds like I should
look at what to do with CDH 5.6 and 5.7.

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 7:37 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This interests me too. I asked Cloudera in their community forums a while back but got
no answer on this. I hope they don’t leave us out in the cold. I tried building it too before
with the instructions here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2834. I could get
it to build, but I couldn’t get it to work using the Phoenix installation instructions.
For some reason, dropping the server jar into CDH 5.7.0 HBase lib directory didn’t change
things. HBase seemed not to use it. Now that this is out, I’ll give it another try hoping
that there is a way. If anyone has any leads to help, please let me know.

> Thanks,
> Ben
>

>> On Jun 9, 2016, at 6:39 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Koert,
>>
>> Apache Phoenix goes through a lot of work to provide multiple versions of Phoenix
for various versions of Apache HBase (0.98, 1.1, and 1.2 presently). The builds for each of
these branches are tested against those specific versions of HBase, so I doubt that there
are issues between Apache Phoenix and the corresponding version of Apache HBase.

>> In general, I believe older versions of Phoenix clients can work against newer versions
of Phoenix running in HBase; but, of course, you'd be much better off using equivalent versions
on both client and server.

>> If you are having issues running Apache Phoenix over vendor-creations of HBase, I
would encourage you to reach out on said-vendor's support channels.