From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Write path blocked by MetaDataEndpoint acquiring region lock
Date Mon, 09 May 2016 17:18:38 GMT
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 12:06 AM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried using the UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY property [1] I mentioned
>> before?
>>

> I am still running 4.6, so this flag is not available to me at the moment.
> It is unacceptable to disable updates to this cache; I do infrequently add
> columns to my tables. This does not change my position on the cache update
> happening under rowlock.

I'm hoping that the UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY property will provide a quick,
practical solution to the problem. We're, of course, always open to patches
and contributions.

> Would be good to file a JIRA if you haven't already, and continue the
>> discussion there.
>>

> Arun already filed PHOENIX-2607. Do you believe his issue is different
> from what I'm experiencing?

Based on Arun's comment[1], it sounds like phoenix.stats.useCurrentTime and
UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY solved his immediate issue. If there are bigger,
architectural changes you'd like to discuss/contribute, let's open a new
JIRA.

Thanks,
James

[1]