From Randy Gelhausen <rgel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing solr with pheonix for XML data
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 00:47:25 GMT
Hi Vikram,

This question comes up somewhat often, so I'd be very interested in
comments from other users of Solr and Phoenix as well.

You'd need to either pre-parse fields from XML and save them as column
values to use in queries, or use a UDF to dynamically parse XML stored
within a single column.

Solr and Phoenix are similar in that they support indexing for fast
filtering, but Solr seems to do a better job combining arbitrary
combinations of indexed fields in a search. Phoenix can't combine arbitrary
indexes without diligent use of hints or creative pre-filtering within
subqueries.

So, if you know which fields you plan to query on (and can make use of
well-thought out indexes) and are able to pre-parse your XML into
additional columns, Phoenix is a good fit. In particular, if you always
know at least some of the highest order primary key bits and can therefore
ensure queries are range-scans, it might also be a good fit.

What do others think?

Thanks,
-Randy