From "Fustes, Diego" <Diego.Fus...@ndt-global.com>
Subject RE: Phoenix-Spark: Number of partitions in PhoenixRDD
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:50:21 GMT
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the information. For the moment, I was able to control the partitions by switching
to JdbcRDD, such that I create 6000 partitions based on a numeric column. I think that such
approach is slower, but at least scales well.

Raising the number of HBase regions that much would be counterproductive, as it affects HBase
performance... It would be nice if you can provide an alternative to the PhoenixInputFormat
that creates more splits... In any case, thanks for the help.

Diego

From: Josh Mahonin [mailto:jmahonin@gmail.com]
Sent: 18 April 2016 20:25
To: user@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: Re: Phoenix-Spark: Number of partitions in PhoenixRDD

Hi Diego,

The phoenix-spark RDD partition count is equal to the number of splits that the query planner
returns. Adjusting the HBase region splits, table salting [1], as well as the guidepost width
[2] should help with the parallelization here.

Using 'EXPLAIN' for the generated query in sqlline might be helpful for debugging here as
well.

It would be great if you could update this thread with any lessons learned as well.

Good luck,

Josh

[1] https://phoenix.apache.org/salted.html
[2] https://phoenix.apache.org/update_statistics.html