I believe I've seen something similar while interfacing between Apache NiFi and Phoenix. From the bit of debugging I did yesterday with my colleague, NiFi is querying the system table for schema information about the target table. My target table has a VARCHAR ARRAY column, which is reported as DATA_TYPE 2003. NiFi then provides this type number to the setObject method. Phoenix actually has no type registered to DATA_TYPE 2003. Perhaps Squirrel is doing something similar?

I think Phoenix either needs a generic Array type registered to 2003 that can dispatch to the appropriate PDataType implementation, or it needs to store the correct array DATA_TYPE number in the schema table. In this case, it should be 3000 (base array offset) + 12 (varchar) = 3012.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 1:05 AM, Bulvik, Noam <Noam.Bulvik@teoco.com> wrote:

we have upgraded to the server to use the parcel and we created table with varchar array column
when working with client java client like squirrel  we still get the same error (Error: org.apache.phoenix.schema.IllegalDataException: Unsupported sql type: VARCHAR ARRAY) and from sqlline.py it still works fine

any idea what else to check

From: Bulvik, Noam
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:41 PM
To: 'user@phoenix.apache.org' <user@phoenix.apache.org>
Subject: array support issue

Hi all,

We are using CDH 5.4 and phoenix 4.4. When we try to use the client jar (from squirrel ) to query table with array column we get the following error  (even when doing simple thing like select <column> from <table with array>:

Error: org.apache.phoenix.schema.IllegalDataException: Unsupported sql type: VARCHAR ARRAY

SQLState:  null

ErrorCode: 0

The same SQL from SQL command line (sqlline.py) it works fine (BTW only from phoenix 4.3.1 with 4.4 there is CDH compatibility issue .

Any idea how it can be fixed?

Regards ,

Noam

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and others who have been specifically authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, or if any problems occur with transmission, please contact sender. Thank you.