From Amit Shah <amits...@gmail.com>
Subject Disabling HBase Block Cache
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2016 08:04:21 GMT
Hi,

I am using apache hbase (version 1.0.0) and phoenix (version 4.6) deployed
through cloudera. Since my aggregations with group by query is slow, I want
to try out disabling the block cache for a particular hbase table. I tried
a couple of approaches but couldn't succeed. I am verifying if the block
cache is enabled/disabled through the hbase shell - describe 'my_table'
command.

1. Set 'hfile.block.cache.size' property from cloudera console to 0

2. alter 'myTable', CONFIGURATION => {NAME => 'myColumnFamily', BLOCKCACHE
=> 'false'}

Even after the above two steps, I get BLOCKCACHE => 'true' in the describe
command output

COLUMN FAMILIES DESCRIPTION {NAME => '0', DATA_BLOCK_ENCODING =>
'FAST_DIFF', BLOOMFILTER => 'ROW', REPLICATION_SCOPE => '0', COMPRESSION =>
'NONE', VERSIONS => '1', MIN_VERSIONS => '0', TTL => 'FOREVER',
KEEP_DELETED_CELLS => 'FALSE', BLOCKSIZE => '65536', IN_MEMORY => 'false',
BLOCKCACHE => 'true'}

What could be going wrong? Any suggestions?

Thank you.